On July 28 and 29, Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, was the keynote speaker for two fundraisers for Wisconsin gubernatorial candidate Tom Barrett. Gov. Jim Doyle, a Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin lifetime achievement award recipient, also attended.
After we announced our protests of the Planned Parenthood fundraisers, Teri Huyck, president of Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, sent an email to supporters, encouraging them to make a donation in Pro-Life Wisconsin’s name. (To view a slideshow with Pro-Life Wisconsin’s pictures from the protests, click here.)
Teri Huyck celebrates the baby-killing work her organization does by tastelessly declaring, “It’s good to be bad!” If the thousands of babies killed annually by Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin could talk, bet they would wish she wasn’t so bad.
Huyck also claimed Planned Parenthood would send Pro-Life Wisconsin a note “letting them know a donation has been made in their name to Planned Parenthood and in support of our events.”
Not surprisingly, we’re still waiting on Huyck’s note. It’s been three months to the day. Perhaps it got lost in the mail. Or perhaps Planned Parenthood wasn’t able to raise $5,000 in 24 hours and Huyck can’t admit it?
Why is Planned Parenthood worried about Wisconsin, so much they brought in Cecile Richards? Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin receives a LOT of money from the state of Wisconsin, courtesy of the taxpayers – $12 million per year in state and federal funding. PPWI’s 2008 financial records list $10 million in assets and a $20 million yearly budget. $8.6 million of that budget is spent on employee salaries. In 2008, PPWI had enough money to pay off a $400,000 loan owed to abortionist Dennis Christensen. Once again, it’s all about the money.
As a sidenote: Planned Parenthood claimed, via Facebook, that 300 people attended three fundraisers they held for Barrett.
Those numbers don’t impress us much… considering the U.S. Census Bureau puts Wisconsin’s population at 5.65 million.
We’re not impressed with Planned Parenthood’s numbers. Why?
- Our annual auction dinner, held every fall, is attended by more than 500 people;
- Our spring awards dinner is attended by nearly 100 people;
- Hundreds throughout Wisconsin observe Roe v. Wade with prayer in their communities;
- Our Pro-Life Wisconsin affiliates throughout the state mobilize to march in parades, staff fair booths and pray and sidewalk counsel outside Wisconsin’s abortion facilities;
- Every year, the number of high school students who apply for our Sharon Schumer Memorial Scholarship increases;
- Thousands signed our pro-life petition to keep abortion out of the Madison Surgery Center;
- Our Victory Fund PAC endorsed a record 96 candidates for political office this year, showing that more and more candidates are embracing the total protection message;
- Many of Planned Parenthood’s count of 300 people were their own staff members!
What does this mean? Pro-life is winning! And you’re helping us win – through your prayers, financial support, activism and volunteering.